Monday, September 3, 2012

Another week

Family,
 
Hello. Sometimes it is quite difficult trying to tell you about missionary service. It is way better than anything else. I hope that suffices. It's true, huh Dad? Sounds like you're a working machine by the way. L-3 would fall apart without Super Bryan. That's what I call you when people ask who my father is. No, not really. I think the secret to not falling apart from working too hard is basketball.
 
There is a new office couple, Elder and Sister Gilmour. Elder Gilmour took over Elder Nelson's responsibilities so we are all beginning to realize how much Elder Nelson really did. He was so busy it blows my mind. He just never told anyone. Great example of humility. We're now essentially taking over car switches in the mission whilie Elder Gilmour works out finding new flats for the upcoming transfers. The Lord really knows how much we can handle and how to stretch us!
 
Last week was a great one. We had a lot of things going on. We got to witness the Lord's hand in the life of a district leader in an area south of us. The district leader and his district were really struggling when district meeting came around last Tuesday. They barely had anyone they were working with, a couple of sets for baptisms, and they were really struggling with finding new people to teach, finding only eight as a district the week before. We had the good fortune of attending that district meeting and we got to be a part of the action as the district leader rallied the two other companionships in the district and went out from that meeting ready to work. From that Tuesday to the end of the week, these six missionaries found 37 new investigators (meaning someone that they had a lesson with for the first time and got a return appointment with) and set at least seven more souls with dates to be baptized in the month of September. It was inspiring to see that in the strength of the Lord we can do all things. This is what makes me excited! I love it when missionaries "magnify their callings"---which Elder Christensen of the Presidency of the Seventy defined as "doing more than what people expect." Those missionaries also baptized a few people over the weekend. When we asked the district leader why the success was coming, he said, "Because we are talking with everyone," inviting them to learn of the restored gospel. I know that the Lord sees our efforts when we open our mouths to as many people as we can and share the gospel. He blesses us to see the fruits of our labors, either now or later.
 
Elder Espino is great. He has been through a lot and is a great leader. He is confident and is becoming ever aware of all the little things that makes one stand out as a beacon to others. He loves obedience and doesn't hesitate to help other misisonaries grow in that area. We have had ample opportunities to correct and Elder Espino has no fear to do so! He has an older brother, no sisters. He is from the Gold Coast in Australia. He used to surf. He is a great example to me for many other reasons. I love him. I'm pretty blessed to have such great companions.
 
Well, I'm glad to hear that Whit is on the final leg. This is the one where you sprint till you can't breathe I think. Let me know how that goes. Jake is singing like the birds in our trees. Megan. What are you doing? You're probably doing well. Be a good girl. Mom, it has been raining real hard, transfers are on Thursday, it has been fun preparing for it, and my asthma is fine. That quote is a beauty! I am learning that consecration thing more and more every day, especially consecrating my thoughts and my willingness. A gift given grudgingly is worth nothing to the giver! Let's get some things in that package that Elder Espino would like. He is an Aussie who may or may not have tried some uniquely American things. You probably wouldn't know hwhat is uniquely American, but I bet you can guess. Thanks Mom. I am really grateful for your anxiety! Jacob in the Book of Mormon (Jacob 1 and 2) shows us what righteous anxiety can allow us to do. Remember I am safe, so don't worry too much.
 
Love you all. Good day.
 
Love,
Elder Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment