Monday, April 2, 2012

Conference Weekend

Dear Father Bryan,

I am getting used to it! It's pretty crazy, but I'm loving it. We get sleep every now and then. One thing that I have realized is that I never knew what it means to have bags under your eyes. They're fairly annoying, as it gives away to other missionaries that I'm a zombie.... We do get to pick up the new missionaries from the airport usually, but there's a problem with visas right now -- no American missionaries can get in unless they can prove that they've been in the ministry for two years already. Therefore, no Americans have come in for a few months now. We still get to pick up missionaries from the MTC in Auckland though. It's great! I got to drive the big mission van last time while Elder Kaufusi drove the Corolla. I had seven missionaries with me and we almost died going around this roundabout! A bus on our left tried to flatten us, but we survived. Then we got lost... Haha it was the first time I had driven in over a month. And I'd never driven in that area before.

We take some of the departing missionaries to the airport as well. Depending on where they're flying to, they leave on Wednesday instead of Tuesday, so then certain zone leaders will take them. Elder Kaufusi and I were privileged to take our companion, Elder Ward, to the airport on the 20th. He didn't want to go. But he was ready, too. After he and a sister missionary boarded their flight around 9 pm, we had to stick around till 12:30 am for another sister who was going home to Thailand. She was loads of trouble! Not really -- the airlines just weren't happy with her bags. We just barely got her on the plane in time and almost had to pay 300 dollars extra and then some. But of course, the Lord was watching over us, because this YSA girl happened to be at the airport and decided to stay till Sister Sitthidamrong departed. We kept telling her to leave because she would have to walk home at midnight in South Auckland (bad idea). The miracle came when one of the sympathizing check-in ladies told us that she could get the bags through if one of us just showed her a student I.D. The YSA girl then whipped one out and saved us 300 bucks (and then some). Sister Sitti made it on time, the girl walked home by herself safely, and we went to sleep at 2:30 am, only to wake up three hours later for new missionary pick-up.  It was a massive miracle.

Yesterday at church, we had a host of new faces. This one guy, Teina, came to church for the second time (loved it last week), but decided to bring three friends, including one less active! Can you believe that? It was great because Elder Kaufusi and I had very little time this whole last week to teach, let alone get people to church. We called a few people Saturday and Sunday before church, then were blessed with five or six non-members showing up! The Lord knows our desire to save souls. Teaching is great, really. I love it when someone just feels the Spirit as you teach. You don't quite appreciate things until you lose it (or have much less of it).

By the way, Dad, I'm holding you responsible to send this to the other familia members. Thanks much.

Last week was the temple trip! That's why it was so busy. Tuesday and Wednesday, we bused down to Hamilton (1 hr 45 mins) with different groups of zones, then Thursday we drove down in our car, meeting three country zones who had to drive themselves. It was an amazing experience, especially when I finally realized just how much doctrine is actually contained within the temple. Amazing. Elder Kaufusi and I were so excited as we talked in the Celestial room. I'm guessing you already knew, but what a blessing it is that we have five temples within a half hour drive! I brought several questions to ponder and it was interesting how the Lord answered them. One thing I have been thinking a lot about is how important it is to do exactly what the Lord asks of us and to do it immediately. He can then bless us with more instructions and commandments. Line upon line -- if we don't follow what we have, we won't be given more. Anyway, after the temple we had a conference and President told everyone in the second and third conferences about something that had happened in his bus the on Tuesday. In the first bus of missionaries driving down to Hamilton, some of the elders and sisters were talking about things that didn't quite reflect the greatness of their callings, if you know what I mean, and about 20 minutes from Hamilton there was a train wreck or something that stopped the buses. We sat there for quite a long time. Interestingly, everyone in that first bus (with President and Sister Lekias in it) began to sing "Praise to the Man" at the same time. And then the train that was holding us up split in two and moved to the sides, making the way clear! The Lord shows us that He needs us to treat this as His work and not just a joy ride. Once the missionaries remembered their purpose, Heavenly Father let them go to the temple!

I love this work, Dad. I am really forever grateful for the time I've already had to serve. thank you for your great example. I love you! I remember some of the best feelings I ever had back home was when I saw you pleased with something I did. Thanks for your diligence and prayers. Have a great week. Let me know if I missed anything that you'd like me to talk about next time. I'm off to Hamilton again today to go on trade-off with some zone leaders!

Love,
Elder Jensen

P.S. Thanks for the emails! I love hearing how everything is going. Sounds great!

No comments:

Post a Comment