Sunday, March 25, 2012

Endure to the End

Hey Family,

Sounds like you're all doing well. that's great to hear. I am jealous that you got to go to the Bear Paw. That's my favorite you know. Breakfast on a mission plus breakfast in New Zealand equals pretty lame. I would love to have a Belgian waffle. But I can't! And I wouldn't even if I could because President destroyed me in basketball last week and has been making jokes about it all week. So I've been eating better. I'll show him today.

We had transfers this last week. Elder Ward went home to La Canada, California. It was an interesting experience being a missionary's last companion. He was good. Not too trunky. Elder Kaufusi and I made a gift for him to open on the plane that was funny as! Full of inside jokes. We stuck a bunch of stuff in this old as All Blacks sock that we found in the flat -- there were some dating ensigns that Elder Kaufusi's family sent to him for some reason, several references to finding his "next companion," and other great stuff. But enough of that. I learned a lot from Elder Ward. He was a great missionary and a great example of using the Atonement and being humble enough to change into what the Lord needs you to become.

The mission temple trip is this week. It's always split up into three days of different zones, and Elder Kaufusi get to go to all three! Yes! The temple. The best. I'm so excited. Half the questions I ask President Lekias, the answer is, "Well, if you'll pay attention to certain keywords or symbolism in the temple, you'll find the answer to your question." Then I'm always gutted because I have to wait for the temple trip... but now it's here! I'll definitely be pondering some things.

Rueben Paparoa got baptized on Saturday! It was amazing! He is choice as. Ever since the first lesson we had with him, he just been keen as to get baptized because he knew that it was all true. "As you come to feel what you are learning is true, you will desire to learn all you can about the message of the Restoration" (Preach My Gospel Ch. 3). That's the secret behind a lot of difficulties in life I think. In times of pain, heartache, grief, sorrow, frustration, and confusion, we need to do the things that will bring the Spirit into our lives. 

My testimony of the gospel principle, "endure to the end," has grown a lot in the past few weeks. Enduring to the end means having hope that everything will work out for your good. Whether it's a disease, a wayward child, a friend making bad choices, or our own mistakes, God will never put you through something you can't handle. "Whom God calls, God qualifies" (President Thomas S. Monson). You think of all the experiences in the Book of Mormon and you begin to understand that opposition is the Lord's way of making us like Him -- the refiner's fire. Jared and his brother and their families only made it to the promised land because of the fierce winds and rough waters. Without the pain and discomfort, they would have gone nowhere. I'm grateful that Heavenly Father gives me trials and humbling experiences -- it teaches me to trust Him. He knows what He is doing. He loves me. He loves each of you. Whatever we go through in this life, we can always look to the Savior, who says to us, "I finished my mission. I endured to the end. You can, too." He knows us. He understands our struggles. I promise you He does. We just need to learn to trust Him.

I love you guys heaps. Remember that! I am completely confident that the Lord will bless each of you as I do my best here. Let me know if there's ever anything I can do for anyone. Have a great week.

Love,
Elder Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment