Sunday, April 15, 2012

Baptism!

Hey Family,

On Saturday, an 18-year-old man named Turanga Shelford-Morrell was
baptized! It was a very spiritual baptism. He asked me if I could
baptize him and I was happy to oblige! It was the first time I've
personally done the ordinance in a while. It's an amazing feeling when
you know that the priesthood is working through you. It was also a
good experience for the brother of Brother Shelford's girlfriend.
Brother Shelford originally asked him to baptize him but for some
reason or another he couldn't do it. Instead he participated by
conducting the music. I know that Brother Shelford's baptism wasn't
just for Brother Shelford, but a reminder for the other guy that he
needs to clear up some things in his life so that, when called upon,
he can use his priesthood to save souls.

By the way, Brother Shelford had come to church a couple of weeks ago
and told us about how he had been taught before and was set for
baptism, but didn't feel ready. When we came to teach him the
following Wednesday, we invited him to be baptized on the next
weekend. He then told us that he had been washing his hair in the
shower when the thought came to him that he should be baptized! Then
he just knew. He's so humble -- it's his humility that has allowed him
to have such powerful witnesses. Then we didn't see him till Monday.
When we saw him again, his girlfriend was with him and she told us
that she had flown in from Australia for the week to see Brother
Shelford get baptized! So crazy!

Miracles, miracles....

Elder Kaufusi and I were down in South Auckland on Saturday to see
some of the baptisms throughout the mission. After one great baptism,
we went to have lunch at Jester's Pies -- New Zealanders love their
meat pies and Jester's Pies is the best, but Elder Kaufusi had never
been so I had to show him. It turns out that Elder Kaufusi agreed and
declared that Jester's Pies has the best pies he's ever had (I think I
should be getting some kind of payment for promoting their business --
you owe me Jester's). We walked out of the shop and were about to get
in the car, and I saw a family sitting in their car outside of
Smoko's, New Zealand's greatest tobacco shop (no, just kidding, I
don't know). I went to talk to the dad, a Samoan I think. I was
friendly, asked him where they were from, and then started to explain
who we were when he stops me and says, "I know who you are. I don't
like you. I don't like you guys." I asked why he doesn't like us and
he said, "You believe the Joseph Smith, not Jesus." I then told him of
my belief in the Savior, to which he responded, "You want a smoke?"
Me: "No, thank you, I don't smoke."
Him: "Jesus Christ smokes! So why do you not smoke? He plant the
smokes on the earth, so he smokes, but you don't! Why not?"
Me: "----" (no chance, cut off!)
Him: "I am a minister! I went to school! I know Jesus! You are only
young. You have to know Jesus to tell people about Him. You don't even
know Jesus."
Then I tried to ask for a referral, but for some reason he didn't want
to give me anyone to visit. This is my story. Hopefully that man will
think about what he said and decide to get baptized someday.

I am probably going to do some dry cleaning today, my first time in
New Zealand. We have a big zone conference coming up where one of the
area presidents is coming to train us. He'll also sit in on Zone
Leader Council, so I figure I ought to have a clean suit.

My shoes are still intact.

We went with the Nelsons last week to have lunch at a Thai restaurant.
It was great. Saw another senior couple there that works in the area
office.

Corned beef being fried in the morning, cold soup from a can, and
made-up Tongan hymns will forever remind me of my half-Tongan
companion.

I conducted a fireside last night with several hundred people,
including many investigators. Elder Kaususi had to bribe some crazy
three-year-olds with nursery toys to get them to sit still and not
distract everyone. Gary Wilkinson, who graduated from Utah State
University and currently plays on the New Zealand Breakers (a
basketball team) and is in my ward in North Shore, spoke at the
fireside. It was awesome.

Love you guys. I'm doing great by the way. Bye!

Love,
Elder Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment