Monday, January 23, 2012

Good Morning!

Good morning!

This is Elder Jensen from beautiful and sunny (yes, sunny -- sorry Dad) Auckland, New Zealand. There was a nice rainstorm last night which was pretty cool. Last night I woke up around 3:30 am and got right out of bed and onto my knees to pray (unrelated to the rain). I still believe there was a purpose but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was. Elder White asked me what I was doing and when I told him he asked if I knew what time it was. He told me this morning that I sounded completely aware when I told him I knew what time was. Haha but I think I realized that we still had three precious hours to sleep so I went back to sleep. He just laughed at me this morning because I had no idea what I was doing and he said that during the middle of the night I shouted, "Oh yeah!" like I had just had an epiphane. The stress! Haha, no it's okay. I think there are just so many things to do I am going delirious. A couple of times in the past we've had to wake up at 3:30 or 5:30 or something to take someone to the airport or vice versa so my internal clock hates me.

That's kind of the lame part of my week though. We've had heaps of miracles just in the past 24 hours. We had a lot of people at church, including Trinity, the partner of Richard who has been coming to church for ages but hasn't gotten baptized because Trinity won't marry him. In the near future (like tomorrow) we hope to commit them both to get married and baptized this weekend!

Tawera, a guy who I have surely talked about many moons ago, has been coming to church and told us just the other day that he had a drink on Thursday and decided at that moment that he was sick of it, that he wanted to just be happy, and that he wanted to be baptized. Because of divorce complications and marriage, we talked about marriage and baptism happening on the 25th of February. It's a miracle because that's the first time they've considered a date earlier than April in ages.

We were teaching this man named Phil who has heaps of problems, and earlier last week we went to the FHE that he was invited to to catch him and some other investigators. We found him crying, very upset because of a fight he had with his partner -- pretty much all his fault -- so we had the opportunity to bring the Spirit and give him a priesthood blessing. He is progressing like crazy now, after going on a temple trip with members, and is supposed to be baptized this weekend.

On Saturday we finally caught and taught this lady named Sister Fa'avoga that the elders here have been chasing for months. After a song and prayer and few background questions, she explained that she was almost baptized a few years ago after she and her husband had gotten married and he was baptized, but due to something that some members said, she stopped going to church and hasn't been for a while. As she talked the Spirit told us what she needed and we read a scripture with her. The Spirit told her that she needed to let go of those feelings she had and do what is right, then we followed the counsel of an Apostle of the Lord and shared the First Vision to remind her of the truth that has been missing in her life for a long time. She said it nearly made her cry and she knew that she had been trying to run away from it all by not thinking about it. She thought she was happy without the gospel but realized that it was exactly what she needed. We then read the Savior's words in 3 Nephi 9:13-14, and she said "Why do you have to read all the right scriptures?!" She accepted the Savior's invitation and is going to be baptized!

After church on Sunday, we had a lesson scheduled with this lady who Elder White met on the street, but she wasn't home when we went. Instead, a guy and a girl about our age answered the door and Elder White began to share the First Vision with them. When he pulled out his gospel art book to show them the picture, the girl said, "Ooh, that's pretty -- come in." So we went in and taught them heaps of stuff. They loved the pictures in the book and when they saw the picture of someone getting baptized Jojo (the girl) said, "I want to be baptized!" and Mane agreed. So now they're set for February! They agreed to read and pray and even texted us later to let us know their number. They'll be coming to a FHE tonight and are very excited.

Last, but not least, last night we had about a half an hour left in the night and still needed to visit several progressing investigators. But Elder White felt prompted to visit a referral that a member had given us for a man in another area, but still in the zone. So we headed over there and found out that Reuben was waiting for us. He invited us in, we started talking, he said that he went to church today at another ward and that he set up and appt with the elders for the time that we came. They never came and instead we showed up! Reuben told us he had been going to church for a few weeks under the radar, has heaps of friends in the church, has had a Book of Mormon for years, has read it a few times, and knows it's true. So without teaching him anything, we told him he could be baptized this weekend! He was blown away and very happy. This powerful experience finished with him offering a kneeling prayer of gratitude. Honestly, this was one of the most awe-inspiring and spiritual experiences of my whole life. I don't think I've ever had the Spirit testify stronger to me that someone is ready for baptism.

Heavenly Father is in control. He loves us so much. I love that He trusts me enough to help lead His children home. I'm so grateful for the Spirit and the direction that He gives us if we will just listen and act. This week we had the opportunity to listen to the voice of Elder Cook as he talked to the whole mission at a conference and I know that He is an Apostle of Jesus Christ. This is the church of the Living Christ and His work will never be stopped. I love it!

I love you guys as well and I'm very grateful for all you do. Have a great week!

Love,
Elder Jensen


1 comment: