Sunday, January 15, 2012

Busy, Busy, Busy

Hey guys,

I'm glad to hear everyone is doing so well -- Whitney especially... oh la la.... You can't edit that out of the email when you post it on the blog! I had a pretty good week as well. We're so ridiculously busy here, I love it. Missionaries are always calling us and asking for something or we get a call from the assistants letting us know of a new big change and we need to organize it, etc. It's pretty fun. Today we have to organize for a car in the zone to be switched to another companionship for a while, had to take a missionary to the hospital, had a companionship study with some sisters that stay about 30 minutes away from us, and will be starting a trade-off tonight with a brand new, mid-transfer district leader to train him on his responsibilities. That's not very interesting though, so I will tell you of some more interesting things.

This missionary that we took to the hospital -- we'll call him Elder Muhammad Ali -- developed or contracted or somehow obtained a big abscess (nasty hole) on his hip that is the size of a golf ball inside. It started nearly a week ago so we've been taking him to the hospital nearly every day. But the first time we went to get it checked out, the doctor told him he was going to have to drain it by cutting it open and scraping it out (yum... is anyone eating right now?). So Elder Ali asked if he was going to numb it up. Doctor Iraqi said that the injections would be more painful than the actual draining process, so we naively trusted in his supposed wisdom. The following procedure was described by Elder Ali as "the most painful thing I've ever experienced." It was crazy! I was in pain just watching. Haha. So that was interesting.

We're teaching this family right now. They are such a miracle. I will tell you of the miracle. I think I may have mentioned it already, but that's alright. One day we were supposed to be going somewhere then we decided to talk to this lady who talked for ages, after which we talked to a boy, which led us to this family who said they wanted to come to church. They also want to get baptized and are excited as for it. They've been to church twice now and they love it. You can tell they just feel the Spirit and the effect that it has on them is amazing. They've had some pretty tough trials -- including a few miscarriages -- and they've been searching for more. It's so cool to see they have finally found it! They told us that just before the first time that Elder White and his companion had run into them over a month ago, they had been praying for help. Then when we showed up the week before last, they said they had just prayed that we would come back! What a miracle. Following a prompting and being the answer to someone's prayer has got to be one of the sweetest experiences in this life. I love this work and I know it's not mine! I was studying the Atonement this morning and it gave me such a great appreciation for what needs to be done with our time, missionary and member alike: we should be doing everything in our power to use that sacrifice and help others to do the same! He loves us and because He does He gives us power to do so much more than we alone can do. I promise it's true.

The area is going well and the zone is getting better. I'm sure I'll have some great news to report next week. My companion is the man and reminds a lot of Elder Samuel Whiting. It kind of throws me off sometimes. Love you guys and hope you have a good week. Ofa atu!

Love,
Elder Jensen

P.S. My typing is getting slower -- this took me an astonishingly long time to write, so I hope you're happy with the small amount of information/testimony that is in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment