Monday, April 25, 2011

Sweet As Week

Maori!

That's hello in Kiribati. I know, that's also the name of the natives (sort of) of New Zealand. Just a coincidence. I love Kiribati people. They are so cool. I'm learning lots of their language.

Easter. Is about Jesus Christ. I hope you all remember that this beautiful Easter Sunday (I assume it's beautiful there. It's raining here). Yesterday was my Easter. It was probably the best Easter of my life. Spiritually. Not as many Easter eggs of course. The second counselor in the bishopric asked me to speak a couple of days ago, about the Atonement. Five minutes. Yeah. The Atonement in five minutes. Not fair. Anyways, Bishop (oh by the way, transfers were this week -- guess who's manning Claudelands for another six weeks!? It's okay, I'm starting to love it) talked to me right before sacrament meeting and told me he probably wouldn't have me speak, since they already had three other speakers all speaking on the Atonement. I was fine with that, since I hadn't really prepared anything, but I had a feeling I was still going to speak. Sure enough, Bishop announced that I would be following the youth speaker. I can't even tell you how powerfully I felt the Spirit while I delivered my "impassioned plea" (as Bishop later called it) to the ward to let their suffering friends and family know about the gift that has already been offered them by our Savior. There's really no reason on earth that we shouldn't tell our non-member friends about the best thing in the universe. Except selfishness.

Yeah, so that was sweet, and two more hours about the Atonement (both from the Gospel Principles manual... mmhmm) followed. After Elder Purdon and I finished our lesson in GP class for investigators and new people to church (second hour), a lady named Lydia asked me for a blessing of comfort and counsel, which I gladly gave. Also spiritual as. At the Easter fireside that night, Bishop talked about how my "plea" earlier that day had brought back memories of the experience that changed his life decades ago, the experience that gave him a testimony. This was an answer to several of my prayers where I had begged Heavenly Father to allow me to touch at least one person through the Spirit with my talk that afternoon. Several other people thanked me for the talk as well. Like Alma, I boast in God. He allowed me to have the Spirit to change lives for the better. He answers our prayers. I have seen it over and over again. The only time we can't see God's hand in our lives is when we cease to have faith and we don't ask for miracles. We do our part and He does the rest.

I am so grateful for the Atonement. For Jesus Christ. For the temple and the understanding it gives us of the Plan of Salvation. We were able to attend a session this morning since it's a public holiday here (ANZAC Day -- Australian New Zealand Army Core; we went to the dawn service at 6 am, had to wake up at 5. That was cool). It's true what many general authorities said at the last conference: revelation usually comes like a sunrise, line upon line. The Spirit has built upon me again and again just the past two days; I feel like I'm going to burst with contentment. Really. It's mean.

I wish I could tell you guys about more awesome stuff, but I'm out of time. Love you, thanks so much for letters and prayers and SHARING THE GOSPEL WITH YOUR FRIENDS. I really, really appreciate it. I love this work! More and more every day. And guess why? Obedience. Yep, I corrected a few things and it has made all the difference. I promise that this joy is not reserved for missionaries. Please share what you know and love. "Perfect love casteth out all fear." Do you love those people who don't have the gospel? Prove it.

Till next week. Korapa. Sikaroi am bong! Thanks. Have a good day!

From En Zed (that's how they pronounce the letter z -- zed, not zee),
Elder Jensen

P.S. I do love Easter eggs and the bunny and all that. Haha, you all probably think I'm going weirdo missionary on you. Not yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment