Thursday, February 3, 2011

First P-day in The Land of the Long White Cloud!

Hello everyone!

How are you all doing? Today's Monday in New Zealand. It's a beautiful day with NO SNOW! Haha. Actually I kind of miss the snow... The ozone layer pretty doesn't exist here so my arms are fried. My first area is called Hamilton Claudelands, an hour and a half south of Takapuna, where the mission home is. Takapuna is just north of Auckland if you want to check out a map. My companion's name is Elder Brown. So we went to the Hamilton temple this morning at 7o'clock and came to the city to the e-mail shop we're at now. Got some New Zealand money for the first time -- it's plastic-like with holes and all kinds of colors. Lame. I didn't really know we were coming here right after the temple so I didn't bring any notes or anything so I'm going off memory here.

Here are the mission home addresses:

Letters:
New Zealand Auckland Mission
PO Box 33-840
Takapuna, North Shore City 0622
NEW ZEALAND

Packages (feel free to send as much candy as you want):
New Zealand Auckland Mission
7A Auburn St
Takapuna, North Shore City 0740
NEW ZEALAND

I would like to state here that if I die here on my mission, know that it will be from lack of love, so send me letters! I'll try to reply to everyone.

The day I arrived in New Zealand -- your Tuesday, NZ's Wednesday -- President and Sister Porter and the assistants brought our new group of 13 missionaries to an awesome place called One Tree Hill (ironically, the "one tree" was cut down some time ago). We saw the infamous sheep of New Zealand and from atop this hill you could see pretty much all of Auckland and surrounding areas. It's so beautiful. While we were there, President was talking to us about our mission to save souls weekly. That's the goal. Four baptisms a month (not EXACTLY weekly but...). It can happen. As he's talking to us about this, some guy who has obviously been listening comes up and tells us that our church is a cult; that baptism is not necessary to go to Heaven (it is); that demonic spirits possessed Joseph Smith (or something like that); and that "by the holy spirits, you will not have success." Unfortunately for him, the baptisms here in the Auckland mission have doubled since just a couple of years ago, and continue to increase. He was Hindi by the way, not that all Hindis are like that. Just interesting.

We preach to people "by the way" here, which means that you talk to pretty much everyone you pass about the gospel. I guess you could consider that tracting. We knock a couple of doors now and then, when directed by the Spirit. It's kind of scary to just talk to anybody about Christ, especially because so many people think you're crazy. But I'm getting used to it. And now it's kind of funny.

Missions are hard! But I'm learning how to rely on the Lord and we've taught a bunch of lessons already. I have some hope for one guy named Huiarangi. I'll let you know how that goes. I love you all and I'm so so grateful for all the support you've given me. Thanks! Good luck with everything back home!

Personal Hellos: Hi Whitney, hi Megan, hi Jake, hi Little Jake, hi Father, hi Mom, Sorry, I've got more to say but I don't have time. Talk to you next week. Keep reading the BoM and keep praying. I love everyone one you. Thanks again for everything, especially your testimonies.

Love, Elder Zachary Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment