Monday, February 14, 2011

Another week, Another baptism, Hopefully

Dear Family,

I've actually had no baptisms yet, but I'm praying for one.

I'm giving up on trying to make this big e-mail enjoyable for everyone to read. I'm just talking to you guys now. Still free to post it on the blog and forward it to anyone you like, but I really just don't care to address the world anymore, mainly because I have no time to write letters (I haven't written any yet) so this is my only way to communicate with you. Why do I have no time to write? Good question. My district likes to do stuff on P-days. All day. I'm pretty sure none of them ever write home. I don't know what to do. Sorry. Plus, one elder who I went on a trade-off with a couple days ago said that it takes a month for stuff to get here from the States or get to the States from here. If that's true, I won't be getting anything from you for a while. It's annoying as.

Jake, Whitney, and Megan, did you get my letters that I sent from the MTC a long time ago? You never told me if you did. Also, Megan and Jake, shoot me an e-mail so I can send this directly to you. I don't know your e-mail addresses. K so I'm pretty sure that lots of people think I'm an idiot because I say so many sarcastic things. People think I'm serious -- I never really say just kidding or explain that I was being sarcastic. So yeah, they just kind of give me this look, almost like one of disgust or disapproval or something. I really don;t care to explain myself though. So they sit there thinking I'm so dumb, while I know better. It's almost entertaining. Maybe that's why I don' say anything. Haha, don't worry, this is true only with missionaries (not investigators), mostly in the MTC, but a few here in the field as well.

I just thought that was funny. Maybe it's something I should work on. It's not that I'm even being rude-sarcastic, just non sensible. Makes no sense so I look dumb. It's funny.

I can ride my bike with no hands! Now I realize there are many people out there that can do this and you are currently reading this and laughing because it's so easy for you. Well you're the people I've always been jealous of, and when I saw that my companion could do it too, I decided to learn. So after a few days... I'm a champion of it. That's what happens when you're riding a bike all the time. You acquire skills.

Hey I was wondering if someone could send me some genealogy information. Where did our family come from, both sides? When did they join the church? Pioneers? Any Jensens ever serve in New Zealand? I never really bothered to find out and it makes me a little sad. By the way Mom, there are two missions here, not three. Wellington and Auckland. Speaking of New Zealand, I'm sorry to say that I'm going to try my hardest to retain my American accent. Kiwi accents bug me, and mine sets me apart from the rest. Proudly, I don't say warsh in place of wash and I know that the word "four" is in fact pronounced with an "r."

I heard this cool quote from John Bytheway: "Perhaps the happiness of death is hidden from us that we might better enjoy life." I think that's true. Can you even imagine how fantastic it must be on the other side? To be with God? To be creators of worlds, to be with those you love for eternity? Eternity. Blows my mind.

Haha, we talk to lots of crazy people here. We met with this Seventh-Day Adventist the other day who basically preached to us and told us we don't follow the commandments because our Sabbath is on Sunday. Yep. That happens a lot. We preached by the way into a lady a few weeks ago who said James bond was her half-uncle. She was serious. One guy told us we were deceived by Satan and that we couldn't get down on one knee and praise Jesus (we can; we chose not to), which he proceeded to do to show us he was right. Another guy asked us who the first person on earth was and when we replied with "Adam," he scoffed at us and said it was Satan, who was cast down to earth. Semantics. Those are just a few.

I eat a lot. I'm going to get fat. But I'm still always hungry. I had the same meal -- taco salad -- three times last week at member feeds. They insist you keep eating. Fine with me. Haha. Ice cream is guaranteed everywhere we go.

A speaker in church yesterday said that because he was born into the church, he has a greater responsibility to the world to be an example and to help bring the gospel to people. "I Nephi, having been born of goodly parents..." (you're good parents). "Because I have been given much, I too must give." I also have that responsibility. But so do you guys. This is what I would like you to do: think of a friend who doesn't have the truth in their life and then refer that person to some missionaries. I realize it's scary but think of what they are missing out on. The Lord gave all of us a responsibility to preach His word, not just the full time missionaries. It's a commandment. Please do this for me. Just one person referred to the elders. Or sisters. I'm sure your friend isn't going to hate you because you try to help them.

That's my Elder Jensen lecture for today. Mother, will you save these e-mails and future letters that I send so I can have them after my mission? Thanks babe, you're a doll. There's this guy in my ward (by the way, I'm in a small area within Hamilton so I haven't seen much of New Zealand -- and the area is kind of run down) whose name is Raymond. He looks and acts like Bilbo Baggins. It's hilarious. And creepy.

Yes, I wear sunscreen.

I appreciate the e-mails. Thanks. It's hard for me to write a long one of these as well as reply to personal ones. Sorry about that.

Happy Valentine's Day! Tomorrow for you.

I'm so sorry to hear about Kooba... Please give Kim and Katie my condolences. I didn't even know she was having problems..?

Dad, there are these bugs here that are so flipping loud it's ridiculous. They're everywhere. And they chirp all the time. You would hate them. Constant droning.

I love you all. This letter took the whole hour and I feel like I've said nothing. Thanks for all the support.

Love, Elder Jensen

P.S. GO GREEN BAY PACKERS!! I heard from a member. She just mentioned it, without me asking, then I went crazy. Thanks for the letters and package, even though I haven't gotten them yet. Bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment