Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Goodbye My Brother

My cute little brother is gone. 2 years and counting until I get to see his goofy smile again. Today was a bitter sweet day for our family. After the setting apart last night we all just sat around and talked, moments that I think we will keep with us until we get to have them again. This morning was a little crazy as mom, dad, and Zach were running around trying to make sure we had everything for him to take and making a few small adjustments, a last minute run to Mr. Macs and weighing the luggage to make sure he didn't go over the limit (although he may have gone over a pound or two, we'll just have to deal with that in three weeks when he hops on a plane for New Zealand!). I got assigned to make breakfast and to Zach's request made Nana's Pancakes. A family tradition we all love. Before leaving to drive down to Provo we all knelt down together to say our last family prayer with all of us together for the next 2 years. It was a scene that I think I will have etched into my memory for a very long time. When arriving in Provo we drove up to the Provo temple and took some of our last pictures together as a family. And then drove down to the MTC. I've never had the experience of going in there before but it was a very cool experience to have. How cool it was to see all of the host missionaries lined up, smiling, waiting to take the newbies into the next adventure of their lives. As we drove in, we had hoped that we would be able to see one of my very best friends Heather Trottier who has been in the MTC for just over a month now. Today was our lucky day as I turned and saw one of my favorite people jumping up and down waving at our car. As we pulled up to the car we all got out, got Zach's luggage out of the back and all gave him our goodbye hugs. I held in the tears better than other members in my family. I love my little brother as I know the rest of my family does. He is going to be an incredibly missionary and will bless the lives of many on the other side of the world. A bitter sweet moment like I said, but how could I be anything but proud as I watched my brother walk away to serve our Heavenly Father for the next 2 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment